Saturday, September 18, 2010

Kellerberrin Dressage Clinic with Allison Domney

In July I attended a dressage clinic over several days in Kellerberrin with Allison Domney through the Eastern Wheatbelt Riding Club riding my new horse Sovereign Oak, or Oak as we call him at home. This was my first real foray back into riding in some years as well as being my first dressage training since my pony club days. It was also the first time I had taken Oak out anywhere or ridden him in company. Oak behaved himself beautifully and everyone really liked him includng Allison (who was just lovely by the way and just a tiny little tinkerbelle slip of a lass - tres jealous!!).

Sarah Middleton from Kelsarni Photographics was there taking photos of the riders and have posted some below which are some of the very few that I can bear to look at - as although Oak looks quite fabulous, it has to be said that I was very sad and sorry for myself (crying!) given the blatant photographic proof of just how much weight I've put on over the past couple of years. There are some beautiful shots of the instructor Allison taking Oak through his paces but I am trying hard not to look at them too often as it is not good for my mental health given that a) Allison is a terrific rider and has him moving so much more nicely than me and b) Allison is in fabulous shape and very pretty as well, and worst of all she is also supremely nice, helpful, understanding and friendly to top it all off as well so I can't even feel mean spirited about her!

Anyway, I was very pleased with how we went, even though I was very unfit and spent a lot of time gasping for air and I also found that I kept holding my breath for some reason and Allison had to keep reminding me to breathe before I fainted and fell off. Plus when I dismount I tend to just "drop"off the side and onto the ground owing to the fact that my arthritis and bad back and knees don't support me very well. I did end up going along nicely on the bit (well, not always...) and even got up to doing some leg yielding and then onto half passes (?) across the arena which was pretty specky... By the end with Allison's encouragement I felt 10ft tall and bullet proof and felt certain I should be making the Olympic dressage team next time round. Of course when I got home again I realised I wasn't quite as gifted as I had momentarily felt.... Anyhoo...... thoroughly enjoyable and I'm looking forward to December when I'll be seeing Allison and the Eastern Wheatbelt ladies again.







No comments: